Best for the baby
They started with the audio baby monitor which is like a radio which serves the purpose of relaying the sounds that babies make especially when their parents are not close to them.
The baby monitor is made of various components like a transmitter unit that has a microphone which is placed near the child. The radio transmits the sound through the radio waves to the parents or anyone that is caring for the child, the recipient has a receiver unit that has a speaker.
There are some models that enables a two way communication like a mobile phone, this device enables parents or care givers to listen to the child and also speak to the child, they can play songs for the child.
Records show that the first baby monitor was created in 1937 and it was called Radio Nurse. Baby monitors will be classified in two major classes; only audio monitors and audio monitors with video.
Motorola Video Baby Monitor
This feature of baby monitor allows the care giver or parents of the child to see the child. It can be connected to a LCD screen where needed or even to a television. Recent technology has made it possible that some of them work at night even with low levels of illumination and there are models with infrared lights which is attached to the front of the camera and with the infrared facility.
The baby can be seen even in a dark room. As soon as the night comes they have the ability to switch automatically to the night mode and continue with their transmission. They also have some other features that enables them transmit through a WI-FI connection to mobile devices that are within range and this feature usually comes with the Motorola digital video baby monitor.
Features of Baby Monitors
- Some models have a movement sensor which is attached under the baby crib and whenever there is a movement, it will detect it. As soon as the movement ceases within a time frame of 20 seconds, it will trigger an alarm at the end of the parents or care giver.
- Some come with wireless feature, these one make use of the radio frequencies permitted by the government regulations mainly for unlicensed purpose
- There are some models that use already existing wires in the house.
- When using the digital audio wireless systems that make use of DECT, they are much resistant to external interference and can have a range that is up to 300 m. this feature prevents unwanted interception
- The analog transmissions however can be detected and picked up by other baby monitor receivers and this can actually pose a threat to the baby and breach of privacy
- With a simple FM transmitter that you pair with a microphone, you can also have a monitor created
- Parents and care givers can actually have a receiver that is powered by batteries and have the freedom of moving around the house while still monitoring their baby
- Some models have two receivers feature which enables two people to receive signals from the baby
- For people with poor hearing issues, there is the vibrating alert feature for the receiver which enables them to analyse such vibrations
- Some models come with movement sensors, these sensors are sensitive to pressure and when they are placed under the mattress of the child, it indicates if the child is restless at any time of the day or night.
- They have signals that show the level of noise in the baby’s room, the signal can come in form of visible signals and in some instances sounds
- A Motorola baby monitor camera can be linked to a smart phone through the use of a WI-FI and the receiver can get visual display of the child on the smart phone.
- Some models actually play lullabies for your baby which can help the baby to sleep
- The digital models are able to render longer range signals than the analog, some models will signal to you when you are going out of range of the signals
- They have the ability to monitor the temperature of the baby’s room
Some of the models of the Motorola monitor are; MBP43-2, MBP33/2 and MBP36/2 remote wireless monitor with two cameras to enhance proper coverage of the room and the baby.
The usefulness of the baby monitor is great, for most parents the device will ensure rest of mind while they sleep apart from the child. With the infrared feature, even in the dark the images and movement of the child can still be observed.
Care must be taken to ensure that any kind of monitor using wires are neatly kept away from the reach of the child to avoid child strangulation, this however relates to analog models that make use of wires in the house as digital models make use of WI-FI and other mediums