The principle which led to the production of heated blankets is based on the technology that ensures that the passage of electric currents through a resistive wire actually generates enough heat; this device contains wires all through the blankets.
These wires are resistive wires that have a heating element and with the wires connected to a power source that causes the heating, your bed can comfortable be warmed up depending on the level of warmth that you need.
With a good power supply to the blankets, heating blankets can serve you for a whole night with an auto switch off device in the event that you forgot to turn it off or you left it unattended.
A very good example of heating blanket is the Sunbeam heated blanket, they are obviously the largest manufacturers of electric blankets, heated throw blankets and many other models of heating blankets.
Having enjoyed a large share of the market for a very long time, they have very reliable and very affordable set of heaters that will keep the bed warm and attractive in extreme cold situations. Some of the advantages of the blanket are;
- Many of their blankets are not expensive, it is easily affordable
- The cost of heating up the whole house can be very expensive when compared to the cost of heating just one blanket or few of them
- They are the most reliable having been in the market for a very long time
- The king size blanket as well as the queen size blanket have dual control which gives the two people using it the chance to set the heat to their desired levels separately
- One very good benefit of the sunbeam brands is that they come with 5 years warranty but take note that terms and conditions do apply to the warranty.
- Their products meet the safety standard that was set by the rating agency
- Some of their controls have rotary dial while some have digital buttons
- You have about 8 unique shapes to choose from with several models available
- They can shut down automatically when it works for 10 hours though new models gives you the opportunity to set the time to below ten hours like 2 hour and 6 hours interval
Battery Operated Heated Blankets
The battery blankets are portable and rechargeable and they come in different colours and designs to choose from. Once the batteries are charged you can use them for quite a long time. They are very ideal for camping purposes, travelling and many outdoor functions like sports
General Features of Blankets
Some general features that these blankets have are explained below
- They can be washed after several usage or when they are dirty and you can also dry them
- They all have controls that are very easy to operate
- There are sensors that enable you maintain a steady temperature in the night
- Some models can actually work all through the night but you need to find out the particular model before buying if that is your preference
Before installing the electric blanket it is very important that you follow the guidelines set by the manufacturer’s manual, when you read the manual, you will be able to learn the different settings that are available and how these settings can be applied.
Benefits of Blankets
It has been observed that about 25% of those who purchased the blankets do it for mainly therapeutic benefits, some of the ailments that are aided by the use of electric blankets are;
- Fibromyalgia and arthritis, about 43 million people have arthritis issue in the united states only and many people get great relief when they use these blankets
- Tensions, one way to ease off tension is to warm the blankets for some nights and what you will notice is that it is more soothing than ever before
- Reduces mites and allergies , mites are also not friends of a hot environment, they thrive in moist environments so when there is some form of moist in the room they can be breeding ground for mites but with the heat such humidity dries up and reduces the chance mites and any form of allergies to thrive
- Sinus issues
- Post- polio syndrome
- poor sleeping issues
- Raynaud’s phenomenon
- The use of warm blankets helps save cost, the cost of warming a whole apartment can be high but with such blankets, you need to warm the bed where everyone is sleeping and this reduces your heating cost
- Most blankets gives two different people the privilege of having their separate settings depending on their choice.
- Most of them comes in different designs and colours that will enable you make a choice
- Majority of them are safe as they meet the safety standards set and they make use of low voltage which makes them even much safer. Always ensure that the blanket you are buying has met the safety standard set.
- This is a great way to save energy when you are not using the thermostat.