Advancement in technology makes so many things possible, the Doppler is a fetal monitoring device that was produced based on a theory by an Austrian physicist in the year 1842, it detects the baby’s heartbeat in the womb and relates it either in an audio form or a digital form.
The fetal heart Doppler refers to a non-invasive instrument for diagnosis which serves the purpose of detecting a fetal heart rate and also measuring the fetal heart rate.
There are two main types of Doppler;
- Regular Doppler which has virtually all the features of the other type of Doppler which is the digital Doppler except for the way their results are relayed. The regular Doppler displays the heart beat through an audio device which is a speaker that is attached to the Doppler
- Digital Doppler has a screen where the fetal heart rate (FHR) is displayed within a range which is between 50-220 bpm. The results are therefore displayed within this range for further analysis. It also has other add on features on the screen like the power usage meter, auto shut down of the battery and battery charging indicator. These features are there to ensure optimum performance of the Doppler.
The Doppler was initially produced for medical workers to assist them in analyzing the state of health of the child in the womb and specifically their heart rate but with the recent technological advancements new designs have been created and they are very portable with manuals on how they can be effectively used.
Fetal Heart Rates
There are some factor that could make detecting the fetal heart rate difficult, some of these factors include
- The position of the fetus
- The shape and also the size of the uterus
- Size of the mother and also the level of fat in the stomach of the mother
Based on these factors, it may be a little difficult to hear the heart beat early but for mothers without any of these conditions mentioned, they could hear the heart beat as early as between 8 to 10 weeks of their pregnancy, while mothers with these conditions will start hearing the heart beat within 10 to 12 weeks of their pregnancy.
Actually there are still a set of mothers that may not hear it even after 12 weeks of pregnancy, the results from a surveys that was carried out shows that;
- At 7 weeks, 15% of mothers were able to hear the heart beat of their baby
- At 8 weeks , 75% of mothers were able to hear it
- At 9 weeks of pregnancy, 85% of mothers could hear the heart beat
- At 10 weeks , a total of 95% of expecting mothers could hear the heart beat
- Between 11 to 12 weeks , 99% of mothers were able to hear the heart beat of their child
Types of Doppler
There are various models of Doppler that can be used easily by expecting mothers. They come in very portable and pocket friendly shapes;
Sonoline B Fetal Heart Doppler
This model is a pocket fetal Doppler, it is a FDA certified device and therefore very safe for use by non medical personnel. This can be verified on the FDA 510K data base for any kind of clarification.
The Sonoline fetal Doppler comes in 2 and 3 MHz probe, the implication is that the higher frequency has a higher resolution while the shorter frequency has a shorter detecting distance; the choice of the one to buy depends on the belly size of the user, the fat level and also the size of the fetus.
Part of the accessories attached to it includes
- 3mhz water prove probe
- A 60 grams ultra sound gel tube which can be used for over fifty tests
This model offers some advantages; it is easy to use and comes with a speaker which is built in. It has clear sounds and accurate FHR detection with an automatic power off feature.
You can get it in various colour ranges like orange, pink, blue and green. Fetal Doppler amazon comes with a year warranty with several offers that you can take advantage of which includes discounts. Other sources where you can buy it includes major online stores.
Fetal Doppler walmat also comes in various models you can choose depending on your choice and they also have great offers. You can get fetal Doppler target with a one year warranty and with fast delivery
Anglesound Fetal Doppler
This model of Doppler has all that you require to hear the heart beat of your child comfortably, it is easy to use with a head phone that you can wear while checking. You have the option of saving your baby’s heartbeat in an MP3 or WAV format which you can replay. You can choose to use a transducer gel or not and it will still work well.
Benefits of Dopplers
For pregnancies with risk, Doppler helps you relax knowing your little one is alive, it helps reassure mothers in times when babies are less active and there are no known side effects when you use the Doppler as prescribed by the manufacturers.
With the Doppler bonding between mother and baby is stronger. You should also take note that you do not over use it but rather use within the specified time, there is always a need to visit your doctors since hearing the heart beat of your child does not mean all is well, your child could be having some other health concerns which the
Doppler does not have the resources to detect. Sometimes when mothers check for the heart beats and they are unable to hear it, they get alarmed even though there is nothing wrong with the child, the health of the mother may become an issue due to anxiety. Therefore it is always advised that the usage of the Doppler will have to be in line with medical guidance and with moderation.